Monday, October 1, 2007

Corks vs Screw Tops

Fellow blogger Eric Asimov, who writes The Pour for The New York Times, discussed the ongoing battle of the cork versus the screw top in his September 26, 2007 entry. Before I began to explore the world of wine I know I personally would always go for the bottles with the cork. The ones with the screw tops seemed cheap to me and in a way I felt like a bottle of wine was supposed to have a cork, that's just the way it was.
Reading Asimov's entry brought to my attention that while the cork has it's it positive aspects, there were also some negative aspects. The same with the screw top. After reading this last week I went and bought a bottle with a cork and a bottle with a screw top. Needless to say they went down very well and I happened to enjoy them both. I do however support Asimov's idea that "cork taint" is eliminated by using a screw cap and I personally want to add that it was much easier to open the screw top than wrestling with the corkscrew.
So the battle continues between the cork and the screw top...

7 comments:

mh said...

This was a very interesting post. You really found another interesting aspect about wine and highlighted on it. It was interesting to read. It would have been nice to know maybe how long you can drink the wine after uncorking or unscrewing it or perhaps why certain companies choose on way or the other. I liked the post before it too. Keep it up.

K. Price said...

This blog is unlike anyone elses I have read. This is a really creative topic. I am not really into wine and I did't know there was a big difference between cork and screw tops. Keep up the good work and continue with the creative ideas.

Krystina said...

Seems like this post inspired a lot of positive comments you should thank the person that gave you the article... lol j/k but awesome post from the article.. i loved that you actually tried the ones for yourself.

Andy Janowitz said...

Great post on an issue that is worth debating. While you think of wine with the "cork" a screw cap is easier to open with. Did it affect the taste of the wine... maybe why some winers prefer corks.

Beatonthestreet! said...

I also kind of feel like the wine seems cheap if it's not topped of with a cork. But I also know the true challenge of actually trying to uncork some of the more expensive bottles. Also, I actually thought of you, I was in target one day and there was this wine conoseur scrap book thingy...something like that may help document and add to your wine tasting endeavors. Best of luck. Perhaps a poll would be a great addition to your page.

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

See, this is the type of content people want to read. It is an interesting subject about wine, it is a unique topic for college-age students, and I bet it was fun for you to write. Keep up the good ideas!!!